Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Update on the Homemade Detergents



The laundry detergent--I like it.  I LOVE IT.  I need (to make) some more of it.  The single batch I made to try it out lasted about a month and a half.  I do about 5 or 6 loads of laundry a week, so if you make the tutorial it should last at least 30 loads.  I just started using less detergent (about 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp of Oxi-Clean), and my clothes are still coming out just as great.  So it could last even longer this next time!!  And you better believe I'm quadrupling the "recipe" this time because I love it so much.


The dish detergent--HATE IT.  I've been using it for about a month, maybe a little longer, and I absolutely hate it.  I was using vinegar as a rinse aid, and for the first couple of washes I thought it was great, but after a few more loads the dishes that I wash repeatedly (bowls for baby food, tupperware containers, glasses) started accumulating a super nasty film.  I ended up washing the dishes after they went through the dishwasher more often then not, so I switched back to the store bought detergent, and, still using the vinegar as a rinse aid, I have sparkling dishes again!  I haven't even used half of the detergent I made (I may have doubled the "recipe" for the dishwasher detergent because of my false expectations), so I'm trying to figure out if I can tweak it to use for my laundry!  I can't imagine the salt would hurt anything, but I don't know how I feel about washing my clothes in lemonade...

No comments:

Post a Comment